Here's to some healthy AND delicious recipes for the New Year! Hope you enjoy this light, flavorful twist on chili.
* 2 tablespoons EVOO
* 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 medium white onion, diced
* 1 lb. chicken breasts, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 tablespoon dried oregano
* 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional, but adds nice heat)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (preferably Kosher)
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1 lb. collard greens, stemmed and roughly chopped
* 2 cups chopped green chiles (canned or fresh)
* 1 quart chicken broth (this amount of broth made it thinner than a normal chili, more like a thick stew -- so may want to reduce to 3 - 3 1/2 cups if prefer a thicker texture)
* 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained (EX: navy or cannellini)
* 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (can use the rest of the bunch for garnish)
* Highly recommended garnishes: squeeze of lime, light sour cream, chopped tomatoes, & avocado!
* In a pot or large saucepan, heat the EVOO over medium heat.
* Add the garlic and onion, and cook for about 3 minutes, until softened.
* Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, pinch of red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper.
* Cook until the chicken is slightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
* Add the collard greens, and cook for about 5 minutes until they are slightly wilted, stirring occasionally.
* Add the green chiles and chicken broth.
* Bring to a boil.
* Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally for another 30 minutes.
* Stir in beans, and cook for another 15 minutes.
* Stir in the cilantro.
* Note: I prefer to let the chili sit overnight before serving, but you can serve anytime after this.
* When ready to serve, transfer to a bowl, and garnish:
* Stir in garnish, and enjoy a comforting, and somehow healthy, meal!
* Recipe adapted from here.