Saturday, September 1, 2012
Almond Butter, Oatmeal & Banana Bars
As the title says, the bars are mostly comprised of oatmeal, a banana, and almond butter. I made these with almond butter for the added nutritional benefits, but you could easily substitute peanut butter. They also have a small amount of brown sugar, but besides that, there are no other ingredients, such as oil or butter, that will weigh you down! Plus, they are quick to make and cook. I kept a few of these bars in tupperware on my counter, and then froze the rest -- such an easy way to have a perfect breakfast or snack! They have all the convenience of a packaged bar, but taste much better, and don't have any gross preservatives. Winning!
** ALMOND BUTTER, OATMEAL & BANANA BARS **
* 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
* 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (if you want a sweeter bar, make it a 1/3 cup)
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 large egg
* 1 large over-ripe banana, mashed
* 1/4 cup almond butter (substitution: peanut butter)
* Preheat oven to 350 F.
* In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
* Let cool for at least 15 minutes, and cut into squares...
~ Eat Fresh :)