Monday, September 24, 2012

Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese & Pecan Sweet Potatoes


Hello, fall! I have loved the feedback everyone gave me, and the excitement that was shared, for fall recipes. It was really fun learning what people were looking forward to -- I had already been plotting, pinning, and preparing, but it gave me even more ideas, so thank you for the inspiration! When I read that two of Ali's favorite fall foods are sweet potato and grapes, I thought how perfect, because my first fall food post, this dish, features both!!

I have always been preferred a simple sweet potato recipe, with one of my favorite's being Baked Sweet Potato Fries. I enjoy preparations of sweet potatoes with salt, because it balances the sweetness nicely, and was never fond of super-sweet Thanksgiving style sweet potatoes. However, this dish captures the perfect balance of flavors and textures for the sweet potato. I'm not kidding when I say this is by far the best sweet potato I've ever had! The roasted grapes are incredible -- they add a complex and richly sweet grape flavor that complements the sweet potato in the most unexpected way. I never would have thought of the two together, and have How Sweet It Is to thank for the idea! Then, the creamy goat cheese adds some tangy-ness, and the pecans are a welcome bit of nutty crunch. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and salt, and you're good to go! This dish truly is sweet meets savory at its finest. I didn't add any additional sweetener because I thought the grapes gave it the perfect amount, but if you like your sweet potatoes really sweet, just top of with some honey or agave syrup. 

I am extremely excited for y'all to try this!! It may look like a crazy combination, but believe me, you will be amazed at how well it all comes together. It is sure to be a healthy, delightful dish you will want to eat over and over (and over) again!

** ROASTED GRAPE, GOAT CHEESE, & PECAN SWEET POTATOES **
Makes 2 sweet potatoes. 

Ingredients
* 2 large sweet potatoes
* 1 cup red grapes
* 2 ounces goat cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
* Salt, pepper, and cinnamon, to taste 
* Optional, if you want extra sweetness: honey or agave syrup, to drizzle

Directions
* Preheat oven to 350 F. 
* Poke holes in the sweet potatoes, and tightly wrap each potato with aluminum foil. 
* Bake for about 60 minutes, until very soft to the touch. 
* Unwrap potato, and slit down the middle. 
* Let sit until they're cool enough to touch.

* Increase oven temperature to 450 F. 
* On a sheet pan, arrange grapes in a single layer, drizzle with some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. 
* Roast for about 10 minutes. 
Before
After
* When the potato is cool, open up and mash. (This is how I like to eat my sweet potato, do so however you like!)
* Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and pecans. (If you like them very sweet, drizzle with some honey or agave syrup.)
* Top with goat cheese and pecans, and you have an incredibly tasty side that is fall perfection...
AND eat some fall fresh!! :)

Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is.

4 comments:

  1. What a great dish for fall! Love the goat cheese that was added to this. YUM.

    Come check out the Food & Wine Magazine Giveaway I'm having.
    http://www.becauseofmadalene.com/2012/09/food-and-wine-magazine-giveaway.html

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting. I am not a big fan of sweet potatoes or goat cheese but would love to try this once.. maybe it would change my mind on both :). Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what to think of this combination, but it works surprisingly well!! The roasted grapes will put it over the top. Let me know if you try it, and what you think! Will do.

      Delete