I have been just a liiiittle stressed lately. Finals are looming. I had a trial that I was helping out with today (unfortunately it got reset at the last minute). And, did I mention that finals are looming?! My first one is in 9 days. Yikes. Things have been getting so crazy that I was just eating boring sandwiches and frozen things. It has been really depressing. Eventually, my body started to revolt, and I knew I had to put an end to all that. Thus began a search for a quick, yummy recipe that would make a large portion; something that I could eat on for a couple days, AND wouldn't mind eating for a couple days.
From the beginning I knew that I wanted to use my crock pot. It's just too easy -- put the stuff in the pot, go about your business, come back a few hours later -- and there's something delicious waiting for you! Genius. The wheels continued turning when I went to Menu of Menu's, a really fun Houston food event/taste tasting with about 50 local restaurants (it was pretty phenom). Anyway, point being that I stumbled upon the Beaver's booth, and was reminded of an old favorite -- their pulled chicken sandwich. And hello. Lightbulb. It all came together, and I knew what I had to do. So, here you have it. A super tasty pulled chicken sandwich utilizing a crock pot and a few common ingredients. Oh, and beer. Juuust to take the edge off. So give it a try -- perfect for those crazy-busy times, or just about anytime!
** CROCK POT BEER-BBQ PULLED CHICKEN **
Makes approximately 6 servings.
* 2 lbs. chicken breasts (approximately 4 chicken breasts)
* 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
* 1 cup ketchup
* 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon mustard (any kind you like will work -- I used dijon)
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (I used 2 tsp of Frank's Red Hot Cayenne Pepper sauce)
* 1 pinch salt
* 6 oz. beer, amber or something similar (What to do with the rest of the bottle? Why, drink it, of course!)
* Optional: 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Want something even easier?
* Try 6 oz. beer and 3/4 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, and proceed!
** Note: A thick sauce would work best with the recipe.
* Place slices of onion on the bottom of the crock pot.
* Layer chicken on top of the onions.
* Mix all of the sauce ingredients together.
* And look, it's already falling apart... Mmm...
* Shred. Just use two forks to gently pull apart the chicken.
* If you are fine with the consistency, just toss with the shredded chicken, and enjoy!
* If you would like to thicken it up, just follow the next few steps:
* Toss the shredded chicken with about 1/3 of the sauce as is.
* Place the rest of the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
* Toss your shredded chicken with the rest of your sauce.
** Note: I saved a little for pouring on top!
** I ate mine on a whole wheat bun with bread & butter pickles. Just delicious...
* Money shot...
* And I couldn't wait any longer...