Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mango-Nut Granola



Welcome to my heaven. Granola and yogurt heaven. Okay, it's not a big piece of pie, or a decadent slice of cake, but I promise, it's something I enjoy eating almost as much. And it's something I eat everyday. Yup, everyday. It's one of the absolute best breakfasts. Or side dish in a packed lunch. Or snack. OR dessert. As you can see, it's easy to fit in there somewhere. :)

And despite being a diehard granola enthusiast, I must admit that this is the first time I've ever made it myself (shameful, I know). I've had it plenty of times from my wonderful (and very granola) Mom, who has sent it to me in many-a care package over the years. But usually, my granola consumption begins with grabbing a box in the store once a week.

I had dreams about making this recipe over finals (having healthy snacks around and such), however, finals craze took over, and I had to put it off until after. Luckily, it came at a good time because I have been quite enjoying it over these lazy summer days (until next Monday, at least). Also, I'm going to Austin this weekend, which means a belated Happy Mothers Day treat for my awesome Mom (who has served as much of my culinary inspiration). Love you, Mom!!

And here it is. I hope you all try this out -- for yourselves, or a granola-lovin' loved one. It's SO easy, and wayyy better than anything you can find in a bag or box, I promise! Also, this recipe can easily be adapted. I love this particular mix, but you can change it up to your taste using your favorite nuts or dried fruit. Enjoy!




 ** MANGO-NUT GRANOLA **
Makes about 6 cups granola 
Printable recipe here. (Yayyy, new feature!)

Ingredients
Wet Ingredients
* 1/3 cup canola oil
* 1/2 cup maple syrup (substitutions: honey or agave syrup)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (not necessary, but adds the perfect amount of sweetness IMO)
* Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (When I was eating this, I thought this spice would be a perfect complement. It's kind of pricey, but if you already have it around, I would go for it!)

Dry Ingredients
* 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
* 3/4 cup slivered almonds
* 1/2 cup walnuts 
* 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (substitution: sunflower seeds)
* 2 tablespoons flax seeds
* 2 tablespoons wheat germ
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup dried sweetened mango, diced  

Serve With
* Plain Greek yogurt (for more sweetness, drizzle with some honey or agave nectar - or whatever sweetener suits your fancy)

Where Can I Find These Ingredients?
The only semi-challenging part of this recipe is finding the ingredients (as you will see below, it's extremely easy to make). Although rest assured, they can all be found in one store! I got them all at the H-E-B on Buffalo Speedway, and I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble at a well-stocked H-E-B or Whole Foods. I just wanted to help you all navigate the aisles, because I honestly didn't know where all of them could be located.

Also, it should be known that on the first purchase of the ingredients, it is a little expensive. However, you will have leftovers, and be able to make a few batches of granola with what you buy, and it is definitely on-par (price wise) with buying it pre-made (perhaps even more economical, I haven't done the exact math).

Here You Go
* Flax seed and rolled oats: Found these in the do-it-yourself dispensers (also later saw flax seed sold in a bag near the cereal aisle)
* Pumpkin seeds: Found these at the shelves of nuts and dried fruits that are located near the produce aisles (also found the dried mango and other nuts here)
* Wheat Germ: Cereal aisle
* Note on leftover nuts: If you're going to wait a while between batches, store them in an airtight container in the freezer (also note: about 3-4 batches of granola with these ingredients)

Directions
* Preheat the oven to 325 F. 
* In a small mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
* In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (EXCEPT the diced mango).
* Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until well coated.
* Spread the granola mixture evenly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (Two 9X13 baking sheets work well for the amount.)
* Bake for about 30 minutes. Stir the mixture once every 10 minutes or so.
* Remove the granola from the oven, and let cool for about 10 minutes.
* Break apart any clumps, and transfer the granola to a bowl. 
* Mix the granola with the diced mango.
* Once cooled, your granola is ready to go! Store in an airtight container, or get just dig on in...
Get in my belly...
* Printable recipe here.

Recipe adapted from here. Thanks, Bobby.

2 comments: