Sunday, February 12, 2012
This spicy slaw perfectly complements my Pulled Pork Sandwiches, but is also a great slaw for any occasion.
* 1 head green cabbage, shredded or grated (as you can see, I grated mine, but wish I had shredded it -- I like that texture with the pulled pork better)
* 2 carrots, grated
* 1 red onion, thinly sliced or chopped
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 1 red chile, sliced (if you can't find this variety, you can always use another type of chile, or add more hot sauce for heat)
* 1 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup Creole mustard (brown mustard is a fine substitute if you can't find it)
* 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
* 1 lemon, juiced
* Pinch sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
* Several dashes hot sauce
* In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, red onion, green onions, and chile.
* In a medium bowl, whisk the mayo, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, and celery seed.
* Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture, and mix to combine.
* Season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
* Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
* Recipe adapted from here.