Anyhow, after I made the hummus, I was even more pleased. I eat hummus frequently, but rarely do I indulge in the homemade variety, unless I'm eating at a Mediterranean restaurant. I thought the hummus I regularly bought was good, but dang, this hummus was gooood. Even to this day, I sometimes get surprised at how much better homemade food is than store-bought. AND it was surprisingly easy to make!
The only caveat being that this hummus will brown quickly because of the avocado, so it is best for sharing! I'm sure your friends and family won't mind. :)
With that said, let's get our snack on...
** AVOCADO HUMMUS **
* 1 large avocado, pitted & diced
* 1 (15 oz.) can chick peas
* 1/4 cup liquid from the can of chick peas
* 1 lemon, zested & juiced
* 2 tablespoons Tahini paste
* 2 garlic cloves
* Salt, to taste
* Garnish ideas: olive oil, paprika, cayenne (just a pinch), cilantro, lime, jalapenos
* Blend everything in a food processor until smooth. (A blender may work, although I'm worried the hummus may be too thick.)
* And yes, that's it! Garnish to your desire (I used some olive oil and paprika) -- and it's time for some fresh snacking...
Recipe adapted from here.