Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Pureed Cauliflower (w/ Cheese & Roasted Garlic)
"This is cauliflower?!"
"I can't stop thinking about that cauliflower dish. I don't even like cauliflower..."
Just a few remarks I've heard after my friends and loved-ones tried this deceptively delicious dish. Whatever your thoughts on veggies, or cauliflower, I promise, this will satisfy your comfort-food craving for mashed potatoes, but with more nutritional value and less of the bad stuff. I served them as a side with my Turkey & Veg Meatloaf, and it was a dynamite combo!! Give it a whirl for dinner... easy, delicious, satisfying... What are you waiting for?!
** CHEESY-GARLIC PUREED CAULIFLOWER **
* 1 head cauliflower, chopped
* 1 cup chicken stock
* 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
* 1/4 cup light sour cream
* 2 cloves garlic, roasted (see How To below)
* Place cauliflower and chicken stock in medium sauce pan, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft.
* When cauliflower is soft, stir in the sour cream.
* Puree or mash the mixture. (I used an immersion blender to get it nice and smooth. You can also use a masher or egg beaters.)
* Stir in the cheese and roasted garlic, until they melt into the mixture.
* Salt and pepper, to taste.
How To Roast Garlic
* Cut the top off the head of the cloves of garlic, but leave the skin on. (If you want to roast an entire head of garlic, leave the cloves together when you chop of the top of the heads -- super easy!)
* Drizzle with olive oil, and wrap in foil.
* Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes, or until cloves feel soft to the touch. Open the foil, and let cool for a few minutes before touching.
* The garlic will be soft, and you will be able to squeeze it out of the skin. Mash well before mixing into the cauliflower.
* And it's time to EAT FRESH!!
Recipe adapted from the Neelys.