*1/4 cup EVOO
* 1 small-medium onion, small diced (I like Spanish/yellow)
* 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves, hand-torn
* 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed (buy very good quality, because this will affect the quality of the marinara drastically)
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* To prepare the tomatoes, drain from can and take out the whole tomato. Give each tomato a good squeeze (or a couple) to break the tomato apart into small pieces (do so slowly and wear an apron, because otherwise will get some splash back).
* Heat the EVOO over medium heat, and add the onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft (make sure are watching carefully and stirring to ensure the garlic does not burn).
* Add your crushed tomatoes, and cook for about 20 minutes until the sauce reduces to a thicker consistency, stirring occasionally.
* Take the sauce off the heat, and season with salt and pepper. (When you let the sit sauce cool it will also thicken up a bit more). ENJOY!
* If you are using in the eggplant recipe, let the sauce cool a bit before using.
* Also, you will want to double this recipe if you are making a large batch of the eggplant.
* You can also make in advance to save yourself time that day, and just reheat on the stove if you are serving with spaghetti (or whatever you fancy doing with it).
~ Stay fresh!