If you're looking for a unique, delicious treat for Christmas (or anytime), these are perfect to add to your "to-bake" list...
** RED VELVET WHOOPIE PIES**
* 2 cups flour
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, room temp
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 large egg
* 2 tablespoons red food coloring
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
* 2 tablespoons butter, room temp
* 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* Before you start baking, note all of the room temp ingredients above so you can get them out of the fridge about an hour before! Also, I like my buttermilk and eggs to be room temp as well (but not necessary).
* Preheat oven to 400F.
* In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (first four ingredients). Set aside.
* In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
* Mix in the egg, food coloring, and vanilla.
* Alternately mix in the dry ingredient mixture and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredient mixture (until just combined).
* Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
* Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar.
* Stir in the vanilla.
* Spread the cream cheese filling onto the flat side of the cooled cake, and top with another one. That's it!!
* I like to eat them after they've been in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (I think the filling tastes better cold), but they are fine room temp as well!
* Now, enjoy some FRESH for the holidays...