Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baked Fish w/ Arugula-Caper Salsa Verde



I love being a law student. People think it's weird. But if you knew that I do very little of the typical law school studying, and spend most of my time participating in extra-curriculars, then maybe it's not so weird. I truly can't wait to be a lawyer, and I have been doing as much as possible to become a kick-ass trial lawyer. Hence, my love of representing UH through our Mock Trial and Moot Court teams.

I recently had the pleasure of competing in New Orleans and NYC this past month. They are both such amazing food cities, and I did my part to eat my way through both of them. The inevitable result being that my pants are a little tight, and I am really needing to dive back into some healthful ingredients. The problem? Oh, still just a little busy. Immediately after finishing with that Moot Court competition, I am now gearing up for a Mock Trial competition. Yeah, I have a problem saying "no." Or, I'm crazy. Either way, getting fresh into my life has always taken commitment and planning.

But there are times when I feel in a rut. Always doing the same kinds of things for quick meals. Salads... raw vegetables... chicken... fish... olive oil... a dash of seasoning... Blah blah blah. And thus, I wanted to share this healthy, quick dish that is enhanced with a novel salsa verde.

If you're looking for a healthful, quick dish that will still light up your palate, look no further. Embrace some peppery arugula, zippy lemon, briny capers, and a hint of crushed red pepper heat -- all waiting for you to "indulge" in a herbacious bite. It's a unique and easy way to add flavor to what would otherwise be just another so-so fish meal.



** BAKED FISH WITH ARUGULA-CAPER SALSA VERDE **

Ingredients
Fish
* Four white fish fillets, approximately 6 ounces (recommended: halibut or cod, I used mahi-mahi because it's what I had on hand, but a more traditional white fish would be best)
* 1 teaspoon lemon zest
* 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
* Olive oil, salt, pepper

Arugula-Caper Salsa Verde
* 1 cup arugula, finely chopped (it smells insanely good when you chop it!)
* 1/2 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
* 1/4 cup capers, drained 
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 lemon, zested and juiced
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Optional twist for garlic lovers: 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (mince well, it's served raw)
All the ingredients you need for the salsa verde! Minus the stuff you already have (olive oil, salt, and pepper).
Directions
* Prepare the salsa verde by mixing the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Put in the fridge while you prepare the fish; it's best served chilled (also recommended: if you're able, give it a little time in the fridge for the flavors to marry).

* Preheat the oven to 350F.
* Position the oven rack in the center of the oven.
* Place the fish on a lined baking sheet.
* Coat the fish with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
* Top with the lemon zest and chopped parsley, and then give it a pat until the herbs sticks to the fish.
 * Bake the fish for 10-12 minutes. It's best to check early on so that the fish doesn't get overcooked -- just until it is opaque in the center.  

* And voila! Serve with the salsa verde on the side...
* Or over the top...  
~ And EAT FRESH!

* Recipe adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment