Whenever it starts to heat up, my body yearns for these kinds of salads. Give me some carbs, vegetables, fresh herbs, and a tangy vinaigrette, and I am pretty much ready to take on the world. This recipe, along with my Citrus Quinoa Salad, are great examples of the kind of food that is so tasty, yet keeps you feeling energized. If I eat a big, hot meal in the middle of the day, I am struggling to pay attention in my afternoon classes. But this dish is so refreshing; it is perfect for a light lunch to keep you going!
I hope you try it out -- I promise you will find it scrumptious and satisfying. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days, so you can also keep it around for a go-to snack or side. For dinner, this dish would be a lovely complement to a juicy steak or some crispy chicken. Enjoy!
** FETA & VEGETABLE ORZO SALAD **
* 1 1/2 cups orzo
* 4 cups water or chicken broth (the broth gives the orzo a nice flavor, but no worries if you don't have any around, water will do)
* 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
* 1 small red onion, finely diced
* 3 scallions, finely sliced
* 1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (Italian parsley & oregano OR basil & mint -- both work nicely, just depends on what you have, or what you have a taste for)
* 5 oz. feta
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 teaspoons salt
* Optional: 1-2 tablespoons honey (brings out a very subtle hint of sweetness, good if using mint & basil for herbs)
* In a medium saucepan, bring the broth or water to a boil.
* Cook the orzo for about 8 minutes, until it is tender, but still firm.
* Transfer the orzo to a bowl, and let cool (stir occasionally so the heat escapes, and it doesn't get too sticky).
* Prepare your vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together (or shaking in salad dressing shaker).
* Toss your veggies, herbs, feta, and vinaigrette in with your orzo.
* And you're done! Serve yourself a bowl, or enjoy as a side, and indulge in some fresh...
Recipe adapted from here & here.