Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Citrus Quinoa Salad
I clearly have been on a quinoa-kick lately, but I really wanted to share this because it is so healthy, and tastes fabulous!! This salad is a wonderful combination of sweet and savory, and it has just the right amount of acid to wake up your palate. It keeps well in the refrigerator, and is a great go-to snack or side to keep around. Serve with another healthy protein (may I suggest my Cilantro-Lemon Shrimp?), and you have such a wonderfully healthy and bright meal!
For the Health Conscious
* Citrus is also a great approach for year-roud healthy eating because it is such a great way to add flavor to a meal without any fat or calories (the same with spice!). Keep around some lemons and limes, and garnish before serving -- it will instantly bring a dull dish to life!
CITRUS QUINOA SALAD
* 1 cup dry quinoa
* 3/4 cup red onion, chopped (1 small red onion will suffice)
* 1-2 orange(s), peeled, segmented, and cut into bite-sized pieces (see: How To Segment an Orange)
* 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 cup fresh or frozen corn (thawed if frozen)
* 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
* 1-2 avocados, chopped (not pictured)
* 2-3 lemons, juiced (enough for 1/4 - 1/3 cup juice, depending how zesty you like it)
* 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons honey (agave nectar or white sugar work well as substitutes)
* 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
* 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* Cook quinoa according to directions (Generally: 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa. Bring water and quinoa to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed.)
* Set the quinoa aside to cool before adding the vinaigrette and mixing in other ingredients (otherwise it tends to get a little mushy).
* Gently stir in the next five ingredients.
* Note about the avocado: you can stir it into the salad at this point, however, I prefer waiting to serve it alongside the salad -- it will keep better without the avocado pre-mixed.
* VERY easy -- combine all ingredients in a bowl, and whisk to combine OR add all ingredients to a salad dressing jar and shake to combine.
* Pour the lemon vinaigrette over your salad, and gently mix to combine: