Thursday, August 30, 2012
Farmer's Market Pizza
My favorite veggies, cheese, and healthy carbs... yup, I could not be happier! This pizza combines a wonderful mixture of summer's bounty over fresh mozzarella and my Whole Wheat Pizza Crust. It's about as nutritious as a pizza can get, without compromising any flavor whatsoever! In fact, it's really delicious. So delicious that you may even feel kind of guilty eating it -- just continue to remind yourself of all the nutritious vegetables, and hey, a little cheese every now and then never hurt anyone. In fact, just typing this is making me hungry... read on; I'm off to eat the leftovers! :)
** FARMER'S MARKET PIZZA **
* 1-2 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
* 2 cups thinly sliced red onions
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
* 2 cups thinly sliced bell pepper
* 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 pizza crust
* 5-6 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella
* 1/3 cup grated Parmagiano-Reggiano (substitutions: Pecorino Romano, Parmesan)
* 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
* Fresh basil leaves (at least 12)
* Preheat oven to 425 F.
* Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with the olive oil.
* Once warmed, add the red onion and thyme, and cook for about 3 minutes, until the onion has softened.
* Take the mixture off the heat.
* Preheat the oven to 425 F.
* Arrange the sliced cheese over the pizza crust.
* Layer the cooked vegetable mixture over the mozzarella.
* Sprinkle the shredded Parmagiano-Reggiano over the veggies.
* Bake the pizza for 20 minutes, and then arrange the halved tomatoes over the pizza.
* Bake the pizza for another 8 minutes or so, until the crust is cooked through.
* Arrange the basil leaves over the pizza.
** Great additions are crushed red pepper and more shredded cheese.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, Fresh Food Fast.