Sunday, August 5, 2012

Just Peachy: Hill Country Vacation and Simple Peach Salad

  A couple weekends ago, I had the opportunity to visit with two of my very best friends, my roommates from undergrad. They both live in San Antonio, and at least twice a year, we all make an effort for just the three of us to get together and catch up on what's been happening in our crazy lives. This time I drove out to San Antonio, and we spent one day in and around Fredericksburg, just shopping, and going to local farms and wineries. If you are looking for a relaxing weekend with some friends, or something different for the family, I would highly recommend going to that area! Something about the Hill Country always soothes my soul, and the three of us had a fantastic time eating good food, drinking wine, and doing lots of sharing (like us girls do).

Fredericksburg is known for its peaches, so of course, I stocked up, and was a peach-hound the next few days. Because they were so lovely on their own, I wanted to do something simple, just featuring the peach, and enhancing its natural flavors.

Enjoy some of my peachy pics, and hope you try my Simple Peach Salad!

Homemade Peach Ice Cream - YUM!

** SIMPLE PEACH SALAD **

Ingredients
* 4-8 peaches, sliced (depending whether they're a large or small variety)
* 1/2 cup sliced red onions
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
* 1 heaping tablespoon basil, chiffonade

Directions
* Whisk together balsamic and honey.
* Toss with red onions, and marinade for at least 30 minutes.

* Toss onion mixture with peaches and basil.
* And that's it; your simple salad is ready! (Note: If you're wanting a little more, this is really good served with mozzarella or goat cheese, and some table water crackers on the side.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this is delicious! I am going to make it with the peaches I got while visiting the Niagara region. YUM!

    ReplyDelete