Just warning y'all, I have gone a little nutty (or bread-y) baking breads lately. This is one of three I made the past week, so if you're feeling bread-y too, get excited, because there will be more coming at ya soon!
This is the healthiest of the breads that I made. It contains zero butter AND zero oil... yes, you heard me... AND it's still incredibly moist. The moistness comes from the banana, apple sauce, and zucchini featured in the bread. It's also quite dense from the whole wheat flour, walnuts, and ground flax -- which makes for a perfect breakfast bread -- not too sweet, hearty, and there is a ton of nutrition packed into one slice! I was a little skeptical about the ground flax, but was pleased to find that HEB had two different varieties in the store (one in the baking aisle, and one by the vitamins/health foods), so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone to find. And, you'll be glad you did -- it's full of Omega-3's and fiber, so use the extra to sprinkle over cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, and such! Or just bake more bread...
** ZUCCHINI-FLAX BREAD **
* 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, skin on (about 2)* 3/4 cup over-ripe banana, mashed (about 1-2)
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/2 cup ground flax seed
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 3/4 cup milk
* 1 large egg
* 4 oz. applesauce
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Preheat oven to 350 F.
* Prepare first three ingredients, and set aside.
* Add this wet mixture to the zucchini mixture, and stir until just combined.
* For a large loaf, bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
* Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then let cool completely on a wire rack.
* And then you're ready to slice... OH, and stuff your face with some delicious and healthy bread...
* Note: You can also bake the bread into muffins, just reduce the baking time to about 20 minutes. I preferred it in the bread form, but muffins are nice for on-the-go single servings.
Recipe adapted from Peas & Crayons.