Wednesday, December 21, 2011

How To: Omelette

When I have a little free time, one of my MOST favorite things to do is to sleep in, and cook up a hearty breakfast or brunch. Eggs also happen to be one of my favorite foods, so I wanted to share the basic techniques for creating classic egg dishes (planning for more to come). Hopefully, when you have some free time, you can whip up some eggs for you and your loved ones!

Omelettes can be a little tricky. I've tried multiple methods, but I have found a fail-proof way that works for me, so I hope it can help you! And please, have NO fear if you haven't made them before! The first few times I tried, I ended up with last-minute scrambled eggs, but practice makes perfect.

Here's what you'll need for each omelette:
* 2 extra-large eggs
* 2 tbsp. milk (some people swear by water for fluffing omelettes, but I like milk)
* 8 or 9-inch omelette pan, buttered well
* Sturdy spatula (somewhat small works better for me)
* Whatever you want to fill your omelette with!

Directions
* Whisk the eggs and milk together until just combined (this is another point of contention, some people like to whisk the batter until frothy -- you can try both and see what you like)
* Season with salt and pepper (or add any other herbs or spices you like)
* While mixing the eggs, heat your buttered pan on medium heat.
* When the pan gets warm, pour in your egg mixture.
* The bottom will set, and immediately turn the heat down to low.
* Give the top a stir as you wait for it to cook through more (making sure not to break the bottom).
* Sometimes I will put a lid on the top just for about 30 seconds, to help the omelette cook through a little more quickly (so the bottom doesn't burn).
* When there is still a little liquid on top, and the bottom has set completely (without getting browned), flip your omelette over carefully with a sturdy plastic spatula.
* This is close to what you want (got a little more cooked than I would like)...
* As soon as you have flipped, immediately take the pan off the heat, and put your filling in!
* Then, just fold, and serve!

Favorite Fillers
* Ham and cheddar cheese
* Bacon, jalapeno, and cheddar cheese
* Sauteed mushrooms, spinach, and gruyere
* Green bell pepper, onion, and cheddar cheese
* Turkey, avocado, and Monterey jack
* Green chili and chorizo
* Roasted red pepper and goat cheese

1 comment:

  1. Always handy to know! I'll be looking out for further egg cooking techniques from you. Especially poaching them to perfection. ◕‿◕

    ReplyDelete