This is my most coveted holiday treat. I have been making these bars every year since I was about 16. And every year, my family gorges on them. At this point, they would probably riot if I didn't bake them. I think these may be somewhat of an acquired, or maybe just for just particular, tastes. Some people aren't a huge fan of them, but the people who are, are seriously obsessed (they are very sweet, and very addictive).
And my favorite thing is that these bars are the SIMPLEST thing I bake, and are a nice break from some of my more complicated baking ambitions. Literally all you do is layer, and bake the ingredients, and voila -- holiday magic. Hope you, and your family, enjoy!
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
* 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup butterscotch chips
* 1 cup chopped pecans
* 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
* Preheat oven to 350 F.
* Butter a 9X13 pan (or line with parchment paper-- need to make sure the sweetened condensed milk doesn't stick to the side!).
* Melt the butter in the oven, and then sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs evenly over the butter (this forms the graham cracker crust -- very easy).
* Then, ALL you do is evenly sprinkle/spread the ingredients in the order listed above.
* When you get to the last layer, the coconut, make sure to press it gently into the sweetened condensed milk (helps the coconut layer stay put).
* Pre-baking it will look like:
* Then bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden-brown:
* Cut into squares, and try to share!