To kick off my Avocado Especial, here is one of the most surprising and tasty avocado dishes I've made! For the past couple of months, I have seen avocado pastas popping up on pinterest and other blogs, and was very intrigued -- and once I made my own, I realized that it really is fabulous!! The recipe creates a healthful, yet decadent pasta, with the avocado providing the creamy texture, without the need for any butter or cream! I did a little twist on mine by adding roasted garlic and tomatoes. They complemented the pasta just perfectly, and even if you don't try the recipe, definitely read about the roasting technique; it is so easy, and can enhance many dishes!
**And don't forget -- the Summer Giveaway is going on now -- follow me or comment to enter**
** CREAMY AVOCADO PASTA W/ ROASTED GARLIC & TOMATOES **
* 6 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti
* 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
* 1 lime, juiced
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 - 3/4 cup tomatoes, halved or quartered (whatever variety you like, such as vine-ripened, Roma, grape, Campari, etc.)
* 1 head garlic
* Garnish options: Julienned basil (a must!), shredded Parmesan, toasted pine nuts
* Preheat oven to 425 F.
* Roasted Garlic: Cut off the very top off the garlic, drizzle the head with olive oil, and wrap in foil. Place on a sheet tray, and roast for about 35 minutes (or until tender).
* Roasted Tomatoes: Place your halved or quartered tomatoes on a sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until the tomatoes are juicy, and begin to slightly brown -- time will depend on the type of tomato -- you will roast at least 10 minutes, but it could be up to 25 minutes.
* While the veg is roasting, cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
* Using a food processor or blender, puree the avocado, lime juice, milk, olive oil, and salt.
* Gently mix the avocado sauce with the drained spaghetti.
* Salt and pepper to taste.
* Top the spaghetti with the roasted garlic and tomatoes, and Julienned basil.
* AND ENJOY A BIG BOWL OF FRESH!! For a healthy dinner, I served mine with some fish, but this would be great side to any kind of poultry or meat!