For Memorial Day weekend, I went to the coast. (Yes, I have some serious catching up to do on my posts.) It was a wonderful weekend full of fishing, drinking, relaxing, and most importantly, eating!! I dined on lots of freshly-caught fish while I was there, and I stiiiilllll hadn't gotten my fill of seafood before I left, so, I swung by the local fish market and picked up some lovely Jumbo Lump Crab to bring back to H-Town. (Fantastic decision on my part.) It was also great timing because I was able to share my crab cake creation with some friends while we were watching one of the games of the Western Conference series. (Let's not talk about the end result). Sooo, here you have it! Some crunchy, savory, slightly sweet and spicy, and OH-SO-CRABBY crab cakes! Pour on a sauce that lightens, and compliments the flavors of the crab cake, and you are really in for a summery treat. ENJOY!
** JUMBO LUMP CRAB CAKES W/ LEMONY-HERB SAUCE **
Makes 6-8 crab cakes
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup mayo
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 green onions, sliced
* 1/3 cup bell pepper, small diced
* 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
* 1 jalapeno, de-seeded & small diced
* 3/4 cups bread crumbs (substitution: crushed Ritz crackers)
* 1 lb. crab meat
Lemony-Herb Paprika Sauce
* 1/4 cup buttermilk (note: if you want a really thick sauce, you can omit the buttermilk)
* 1/2 cup mayo
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon lemon zest
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 green onion, sliced
* 1 tablespoon Italian parsley
* 1 tablespoon dill
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
* In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and spices (1-6 on list).
* Stir in the herbs, vegetables, and bread crumbs (7-11).
* Gently fold in the crab meat (12).
* Using your hands, shape mixture into 6-8 patties, and place them on a non-stick cookie sheet (or lightly spray with oil).
* Cover patties, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
* Turn oven to broil.
* Broil crab cakes for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
*Whisk together all ingredients, and chill before serving. (It's also nice to let the sauce sit for a while, so the flavors marry.)